Sunday, June 9, 2013

Early June Life: Update Alert :)

Woo--so it's been a lil while. I've still been checking in long enough to update my work-outs and read a few posts from y'all, but just been...quiet, sorta, over here. There's been a lot going on though!

So let's summarize:
WORK:
--Finals are this week coming up. I plan to have all grades uploaded into the system by Thursday noon. 
--I didn't get the research job, but randomly and unexpectedly I got a 2nd interview for my home town. That 2nd interview will happen via Skype tomorrow afternoon, but I'm not feeling too sure about it. I have an interview on Weds for my old veteran job and then another county public health interview on the 18th. I still have apps out and have more I'm intending to submit. Still wanting to break into workplace wellness but I know I'll take the first job offered.
--Still feeling good about my teaching gig. This term has ended so much better and happier than some. As ready as I am for a break, I'm loving hearing my students end the term with the usual reporting of the changes they're making for the better. I LOVE seeing students making choices to improve their health because of the information in our classes. 
--Tomorrow morning is my last mtg for my small part-time gig. We're reporting our program overhaul.

HOUSE:
--We created a new smoking area for L on the side of the house, which allows for the windows to be open and breeze to come through. MUCH BETTER for both of us. Mood has lightened somewhat but I'm still looking forward to who might be next.
--Posted ad for new housemate. No real responses. Will drop price a bit and repost. M is paying a small monthly storage fee for his stuff in the garage but he's paying in lump sums, so I think my July rent should be ok regardless.
--I spent last week overhauling the front yard. Dad cut down the ugly bushes out front while they were here a week ago and since then I've relocated 5 bushes, ripped out a dead bush, planted four new bushes & 4 new flowers, weeded, pruned other bushes, mowed again, bought additional starts for the garden, spread mulch and bought more, and watered/watered/watered like crazy. On Tuesday afternoon, I'm having a lawn guy (who my aunts use and my parents are paying for) come move three larger bushes that I can't move on my own. Once those are moved and I spread the rest of the mulch, I'll just have to water...and plant two additional bushes that my mom is bringing next weekend. I'll post pictures when it's all done but here's a sneak peak:



--Finally deep cleaned my bathroom for Mom's use next weekend. I won't even tell you when I last cleaned it. Embarrassing! :)

WORK-OUTS:
--June 1st was the Starlight Run through downtown PDX. The three of us who ran it together last year, met up to run it again this year and we plan to try to do so for the next one. Lots of fun...but after being in the yard all day, even that 5k kicked my butt!

--Mainly I've been spending two days out of the week in the yard and then adding in some Insanity and shorter jogs with the dogs on the other days. I'm trying to work on tightening up the core as we head into bikini season. 
--And can I call tanning a work-out? Because I've been doing several days of that as well. I'm trying to keep my sports bra/running tank tan lines to a minimum....although I've got a pretty severe T line going on between my shoulder blades already since this has pretty much become my summer uniform: :)


SOCIAL:
--Headed over to the ol housemate Luke's for dinner and drinks with some other peoples after the race last Saturday. DELISH salmon burgers!
--Tomorrow I'm finally getting together with one of my gals for happy hour again (as long as it doesn't fall through). I've contacted several of my gals in the last month, but E seems to be the only one consistently trying to reconnect or who has remained in distant check-in status throughout my self-imposed hibernation. 
--Two weeks ago, I went out to breakfast with C (M's coworker) and we're headed out to dinner tonight. C and M were pretty close, so C is also missing having M around. 
--My gal Christina from the ol' San Antone will be up the end of this month for her birthday and I'm pretty stoked to see her. We'll all be getting together for dinner at her parent's place and then trying to wine tour or overnight hike...we'll see.
--Still able to chat to M routinely and make sure he's taking care of himself over in Taiwan. Happy to report he's falling in love with that kid! :) Even if it seems like his health is falling apart! Grr.
--Last Sunday got together with my cousin A--so nice to finally get to reconnect with her again too!
--And since the race, I've also been working on that friendship with Tall D. We went to see Star Trek finally and then had beers after he offered to get bulk mulch for the yard in the truck. But honestly, what I'm most excited about is joining him and a few of his other veteran dudes on a white water rafting trip this coming weekend. Mom's coming to dog sit and I'm pretty stoked to finally get to go on a rafting trip!

OTHER THINGS:
--As I've been tanning, I've been reading a lil...sort of. Still on a mission to try to finish some of these books!
--Yesterday I bought two new bikinis....not sure whether this voids part of my no-buy closet challenge for the year, BUT I was in Target and bypassed EVERYTHING else...even when cardigans were on sale. So I'm still feeling like I'm in this thing for a few more months at least. 
--Lady cat had been missing for a week. She showed back up yesterday. I've never been so happy to see her! I fed her half a tuna packet as a reward for coming home even :) Ha.
--And honestly, even with lots of uncertainties still and even more ironies/weirdness in the mix, I'm still feeling happy...settled. Those few months that I took to myself were well needed...because really I've been feeling happy for a month straight and I can't remember the last time I did that! 
--Hopefully more posts to come!

1 comment:

  1. yay! I'm so glad you're feeling better! I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for your upcoming interviews!!

    ReplyDelete