Monday, March 31, 2014

Early 2014 Tillamook Forest Outings

January's chilly and quick Rogers Camp Loop trail run/hiking loop:

This trail partially follows ATV routes and treks along a shooting range, so it's not the most peaceful but it was a good trail run option as I raced against the short window before the sun set. I also discovered University Falls...picture to post in a subsequent hike.

Gayle's Creek Trailhead:


Beautiful day trying out a new trail. LOTS of downhill to begin with to get down to the main Gayle's Creek trail (which meant lots of uphill back to the car). This was more of an exploratory hike to see what this newer stretch might be like, and to soothe my soul a bit in nature. (These are also highly used mountain biking trails.)

Attempt to cover more of Gayle's Creek in mid Feb:




My original intent this day had been to cover 8-10 miles snowshoeing but then I decided I didn't want to spend the gas money to get to Mt Hood...and then was surprised to discover so much left over snow still in Tillamook Forest. I took the Gayle's Creek Trail again and at the split off stayed on Gayle's Creek as it looked to be less slipperly than trying to accomplish part of the other loop trail option. The dogs and I continued on for mileage jumping over (and building stick bridges across) water over the trail like above, until I came across water on the trail that wasn't going to be easy to go around or through. Altogether it was still a great outing. Still hoping to get back to knock the rest of this trail off the Tillmook Forest check-list! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, these photos make me want to take a trip to the north east SO BADLY! Looks like a beautiful hike. But as I type that, I am reminded of the fact that I have hiking in my backyard as well. I don't know what the future holds for me but I am hoping to do a hike every weekend for as many weekends as I am here...

    Oh and about your comment about Chicago - even if I don't move there (it's not looking likely as all my leads are in Minneapolis) we could always meet up in Chicago! I'm always willing to visit that city and hopefully I could reverse the back experience you had there last time. And I think we'd have a blast traveling together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, that will be great to read about your hikes and hopefully will be a way to distract yourself from the discomfort of being there for now. That's great that you have some leads and hopefully they'll develop into a job sooner rather than later :) I'd love it if eventually we met in Chicago--I think you'd be a great tour guide. I've never actually seen much of the city but have heard it has much to see within it. Maybe I'll put it on the 3-5 year travel plan list! ;)

      Delete